Tekla Structures is one of the most capable and advanced BIM software in its field, but the downside to this is that it takes a little longer to learn as it has more tools, settings, possibilities, and opportunities for customization.
But don’t worry – you’re not alone!
In this article, I will provide you an overview of different methods with pros and cons on how you can start learning Tekla Structures right away. No jargon, no confusing tech talk—just a straightforward roadmap with all the links to help you get started.
Watch and listen it all in video format:
or keep reading the article.
Learning Tekla is like buying a car
Learning Tekla is akin to purchasing a car, or virtually anything else. There are three options from which to choose:
- The Best of the Best: These are top-tier options that provide the quickest and most likely path to achieving your desired results. However, they come at a higher price point. While this choice may exceed the budget of some individuals, for companies, it’s a highly recommended consideration. When compared to the alternatives, the cost is relatively minimal. The return on investment derives from saved time and the increased high-level efficiency it yields.
- Average: The second option is to opt for an averagely priced course, or even more economical ones if you’re on a tight budget. These courses are less expensive but may come with compromises in quality. Hidden fees can be an issue, akin to an older, cheaper car needing frequent repairs. As the cost of the training course decreases, so does its quality. You’ll gain a foundational understanding, but deeper insights into the software and its full potential may be lacking. Learning from your mistakes and gaining insight while working can be a lengthy and costly process.
- Free or DIY 🙂: Some individuals may face budget constraints and limited options. In such cases, making the most of what’s available is essential. While reaching the top is possible, it may require more effort and time. This article also provides information on various free resources to get started with the right tools, allowing for self-development without the financial burden.
I personally recommend selecting the option that aligns with your budget while avoiding excessive comfort, as growth often occurs beyond one’s comfort zone.
Different Ways To Learn Tekla Structures For Beginners:
01 Learning Tekla Structures Through Live Classroom Training
One effective method to learn Tekla Structures is via live classroom training. After downloading Tekla Structures, Trimble recommends contacting your local Trimble office for live classroom training. You can find these contacts also from HERE.
While this option may be more expensive, it’s advisable if your budget allows. The following paragraph will explore the difference between live and online training to help you determine the best approach.
In addition to Trimble’s own offices and resellers, there are Trimble partnering companies and schools that offer Tekla training. Check for available options in your area.
Difference Between Live Training and Online Training
Before choosing between live and online training, it’s essential to understand their respective advantages and drawbacks.
Live training is advantageous because trainers can tailor the curriculum to your company’s specific needs based on the types of structures you work with. Additionally, it allows for immediate interaction and problem-solving between instructors and students. However, live training requires physical attendance at specific times and locations, and its availability may be limited.
Online courses are more flexible in terms of scheduling and location. They permit self-paced learning and offer affordability. However, online courses may lack customization to your specific needs and may not provide the same level of interaction as live training.
What to Consider When Enrolling in a Tekla Structures Course
Whether you’re pursuing your studies through online classes or live classrooms, there are several key factors to keep in mind before committing to a Tekla Structures course. It’s essential to have a comprehensive understanding of the course offering. For example:
- Course Content: You should have access to detailed information regarding the modules and lessons that will be covered. This information will give you a clear picture of what you’ll be learning.
- Course Duration: The length of the course is a significant indicator of the depth the instructor plans to delve into the topic. It will help you determine if the course provides a general overview or if it includes in-depth explanations, practical examples, and valuable tips and tricks.
- Teaching Methodology: Understand how the course content will be taught, how instructors will address questions, and how they will guide you through your initial project. You may want to know if the course includes theory tests or practical exercises for evaluation.
- Post-Course Opportunities: It’s crucial to know what students can expect to achieve after completing the course. Will you acquire practical skills that can be applied in the real world?
- Instructor Credentials: Investigate the background and credentials of the instructor. They should possess both solid practical experience with Tekla and a proven track record in teaching.
Apart from the instructor’s qualifications, it’s beneficial to assess the reputation and history of the educational institution offering the course. Look for signs of trustworthiness and consider their specialization.
While the course provider’s information is important, don’t solely rely on their promotional materials. Seek feedback from other students, as their perspectives tend to be more objective. You can do a quick online search on platforms like Google and LinkedIn to verify the authenticity of reviews. Be cautious of reviews without names or pictures, as they may be less reliable.
Price transparency is also essential. If the course provider doesn’t publicly disclose the cost, it’s a potential red flag. Transparency is key when making an informed decision about your investment in the course.
As the saying goes, “Don’t buy a pig in a poke.” Ensure you have access to all the necessary information before making a commitment. Missing or hidden details often indicate a lack of quality, something you’ll want to avoid. For instance, be cautious of social media posts that lack links to additional information.
Remember that a well-informed decision is more likely to lead to a successful educational experience.
02 Learning Tekla Structures Through “Top Level” Online Courses
Finding comprehensive online courses for Tekla Structures can be challenging. However, options like TSAcademy offer high-quality content in English.
If you speak Spanish, Construsoft campus is another credible online training option.
03 Learning Tekla Structures Through “Mid or Low Level” Online Courses
Learning Tekla Structures Through Free Materials
While “free” is enticing, these resources often cater to beginners. They serve as a starting point, providing introductory knowledge. The journey to deeper expertise may require additional self-learning through various sources.
04 Learning Tekla Structures Through Tekla’s Basic Steps Videos:
Tekla Structures offers “basic steps” videos upon download. These are an excellent starting point for beginners, offering an official introduction to the software. Some companies combine these videos with additional training to bridge gaps in knowledge.
05 Learning Tekla Structures on Trimble’s Official Platform
You can explore Tekla Structures courses on the official Trimble platform, learn.trimble.com. The courses available vary in terms of accessibility. Some are freely accessible to all, while others may require approval from the creator, and there are also paid courses.
One advantage is the diverse language options available for courses. However, the sheer number of courses can be overwhelming, making it somewhat confusing to choose the right one. Furthermore, most of these courses are categorized as “free courses,” which is excellent if you’re on the path of “learning for free.” This can serve as the next step after grasping the basic concepts, helping you fill in any gaps in your knowledge.
06 Learning Tekla Structures Through YouTube Videos
YouTube is a valuable resource with a plethora of Tekla Structures content. While it’s free and rich in information, the vast amount of content can be overwhelming. Recommended channels can provide structured guidance, so here are some of the best:
- Tekla Structures (Trimble) official channel
- Tekla Structures (Trimble) official channel “Monday Minutes” videos list
- Tekla Structures (Trimble) official channel “US Steel Tips & Tricks” videos list
- TSGuide channel
- BuildingPoint Australia channel
- The How’s of Tekla Structures channel
- The How’s of Tekla Structures channel Precast Basic Training Sessions videos list
- CS Wilson Draws channel
- Christopher Keyack channel
- Gani sk channel
- Maurice Dimba channel
- Construsoft España – Latinoamérica channel (in Spanish)
YouTube is quite good for finding answers to specific questions and it gives the answers in an easy-to-understand video format.
07 Learning Tekla Structures Through PDF Manuals
Trimble provides comprehensive PDF manuals for Tekla Structures. These are a great option if you prefer written materials. They offer a quality resource to grasp the basics of Tekla Structures.
I personally got bored after 20-30 pages. Still, keep in mind that it’s free, and the quality is quite good to get some level with Tekla Structures.
Different Ways To Level Up Your Tekla Skills
All the aforementioned methods are effective for starting your Tekla Structures journey. To further enhance your skills, consider these options:
08 Level Up Through FaceBook
While Facebook can be informative, it’s not the most recommended platform for Tekla learning. Few groups may share valuable content, but many tend to focus on spam and promotions.
Still, there are three groups that you could follow:
LinkedIn is a better platform for professional content sharing. Follow Tekla experts who share valuable tips and tricks.
Some of my recommendations to follow are:
- Trimble Tekla official
- Sten Tuudak
- Ali Ezz
- Duy Trung Vu
- Sriram Santhanam
- Lee Snyder
- Dawid Dyrcz
- Samuel Thapelo Mofokeng
- Alexey Perezhogin
10 Level Up Through Tekla Support Videos
Tekla Support Videos offer a wide library of tutorial videos covering various aspects of Tekla Structures.
There are a lot of videos focussed on tips and tricks that are very useful:
11 Level Up Through Trimble Tekla Support Articles
Trimble’s support site features extensive technical articles that provide in-depth guidance on Tekla Structures. This is an excellent resource for finding answers to specific questions.
Different from YouTube, there aren’t many videos – mainly articles. But on the other hand, the quality of content is controlled by almighty Trimble itself. It has really good quality and also includes minor details that some other sources may miss.
12 Level Up Through Tekla Discussion Forums
The Tekla Structures Discussion Forum serves as a community for Tekla users to interact and share experiences, tips, and tricks.
13. Level Up Through Tekla Live Events
Participating in Tekla live or online events offers opportunities to learn from experienced professionals, witness demonstrations of the latest features, and interact with the community.
Attending Tekla Live events allows you to learn directly from experienced Tekla professionals who can provide insights that textbooks or documentation may lack. Additionally, you can ask questions and get them answered in real-time.
BONUS. LEARN BY DOING
Practical application is crucial. While theory and resources are important, active practice on real projects is indispensable. Learning through experience, assisting others, and seeking guidance when needed are key to mastering Tekla Structures.
TO SUM UP
To harness the full potential of Tekla Structures, it’s imperative to have a comprehensive understanding of the software’s functionalities. In this article, we explore various options for learning Tekla Structures, each with its own set of advantages and drawbacks.
Premium paid courses usually deliver the best results fastest but might be financially out of reach for some. On the other hand, cost-effective and free courses offer a budget-friendly entry point but provide only fundamental knowledge. While it may not suffice for mastery, it serves as a valuable foundation, far better than having no knowledge at all.
Live training offers personalization and immediate feedback, but it comes with a few disadvantages when compared to online training. Conversely, non-course resources often lack structured guidance, making it challenging for beginners to know where to start or what to explore next without overlooking essential aspects, potentially consuming a significant amount of time.
If I were to recommend an ideal path for a close friend, I’d suggest enrolling in a high-quality online course, such as the TSAcademy online course. Thoroughly work through the material at your own pace, gaining a substantial (about 80-90% of everything you need to know) understanding. Following that, consider investing a few hours in a consultation with an expert from Trimble or another trusted field specialist to address any lingering questions. With this comprehensive approach, you’ll be well-prepared to tackle your initial projects successfully.
Remember, consistent practice and ongoing learning will transform you into a Tekla expert in no time 😊 Keep in mind that getting started is often the most challenging part, but once you set the wheels in motion, your journey will progress smoothly.
Tekla Structures grandmaster and TSGuide OÜ founder.